Sunday, July 31, 2016

Nesvizh

As I am typing this on my laptop in Mister Donut. I look outside the window and see rainclouds over the horizon. I contemplate whether I should continue writing or defer this effort to another day which may be another month or months depending on the state of my procrastination.

Included as part of the physics conference I attended in Belarus was a day trip to the historic city of Nesvizh.

Nesvizh castle
It was quite a long bus trip from the capital city. We had a tour guide that delivered nothing short of a history of Belarus starting somewhere from the origins of the Belarusian state,  the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth, the soviet-era to the present day.

We visited the Nesvizh castle and also some other catholic church that survived the Soviets. In 1994, the castle complex was designated the national historical and cultural reserve and in 2005 the castle complex was listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.


The Belarusian bank 'ATM', or a single teller bank post not quite automated. Very interesting sight.



View of the castle from the main gate.

Nesvizh courtyard. There is a well in the middle. Usually filled with coins.












No comments: