Thursday, April 05, 2012

Moscow, farewell

I guess this is going to be another long post for my last two days in Moscow.  Let me start off by informing everyone that taking photos or videos in the Metro stations (and maybe also train stations and airports) are illegal and if you get yourself caught by the local police, you may lose your camera!

Anyway, I did not know that it was illegal to photograph in the stations.  I thought this art piece on the wall looked really unique.  Why not right?

Another picture of the fortress but in on a sunny day.

The busy streets of Moscow.  If you look closely enough, you will notice that the presidential elections are on 4 March.

A very nice departmental store which existed during Pre-Soviet times that got scaled down later by the communists and now it is back (almost) in full glory.
Later that night, I went to visit an ex-university mate, Daniel and his family.  They were in Lund till last September when decided to move back to Moscow to stay in one of the suburbs.  Their home is warm and cosy with lots of noise and cheer from the kids.  I stayed till almost midnight listening to Daniel talk about the current political situation in Moscow.  Thankfully Elena, my final couch host was still up and guided me back to her home.  I had forgotten which building she lived in as most of the apartment buildings looked the same!

Natalia and one of her kids.

Daniel and her daughter.

Me and them.


At the Moscow state university


A web of network LAN cables!




A monument to the Russian space effort sending the first man into space.














Vostok rocket

Mobile electricity generator




The obelisk at the memorial square.

A view from the obelisk

Tanks on display at the war museum.  My camera batteries ran out here.  There were also planes, ships, a turret on a train wagon, and helicopters.  A must-visit place!



The next day, I took a long ride on the Metro to Moscow Domodedovo Airport where I would then be on a 10 hour journey back to Singapore.  I wonder how the humidity and heat will do to me.  Russia has been fun and would definitely try to explore the other cities and rural regions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hej, Mark! quite interesting trip you had in there. Makes me want to go there too. Cheers! Olya

quik_silv said...

Yes. Russia is fun and its in the process of renewing itself! Go there before everything becomes expensive!