Thursday, March 01, 2012

Saint Petersburg: Day 2

Here are more pictures from my second day in Saint Petersburg with my next couch-host, Marga-Rin.  A film director, she works in her own company producing many short films and it feels like she is a very busy person but is always on top of things.  We met near Sportinaya metro station and she drove me around to see the many other fantastic sights.

Saint Issac's Cathedral. I went up to the dome to take breathtaking pictures of the city.



That's me running up the spiral staircase.

One of the many views from the top of the cathedral.




Marga-Rin taking photos in her favourite spot.






Peter the Great on the horse.  Later in Moscow, there is another more modern sculpture of the Tsar.  Although according to Alex, my couch host in Moscow, some residents have negative views about it. 





Russian lunch with Marga-Rin.  Borsch, bread, 'russian-new-year-dish' (someone please enlighten me) and pie.


Yeah, the Aurora warship that signaled the beginning of the revolution.



The coat of arms of the Russian army.
Traffic jam near the train station to Moscow.





Walking along Nevskiy Prospekt.











St Vasiliy cathedral.  One of my favourite. It is really colourful and full of mosaics.

The frozen canal near St Vasiliy cathedral.




Nevskiy Prospekt
Inside Gostiny Dvor.  One huge shopping center selling all sorts of things from high-fashion to souvenirs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos, Mark! Looks very cold though. It was +9 C in Lund today :-) (in case you decide to come back).
Is the 'russian new year dish' some sort of salad with herring?
Mariya

quik_silv said...

Yes! Do you remember what its called? My host keeps telling me what that was I just keep forgetting!

Anonymous said...

Yes, really nice pics! Pity I couldn't meet you.
The dish is called (in a bad translation) "herring under a fur-coat" :)
/ Anna.